Friday, July 10, 2009

Short notice wedding cake (flowers ~sweetpeas~ by Mum)

This 3 tier stacked wedding cake was ordered less than 2 weeks before the wedding!! - My Dad still makes all my fruit cakes for me & Mum does still dabble in cake decorating (though did give up all her equipment to me about 5 years ago).

This cake was for a friend of my Parents so Mum wanted to agree to the cake, but a number of issues meant that it wasn't practical for Mum & Dad to do the whole cake, so being a bossy type Daughter I decided to relieve them of the stress of icing the cake and managed to get Mum to agree to just make the sugar paste sweet-peas & since Dad had already baked the fruit cake, I'd do the rest.

So this was another family collaboration (Mum & Dad, and my neighbour came to my rescue with this cake last year when I was rather too poorly to have done it myself!).

Actually my neighbour Karen also sort of helped with this cake - she plays in a string quartet & they were practicing in her lounge (it was a hot day so all doors & windows were open) and as Mum & I placed the flowers on to the finished cake ... we had beautiful relaxing live music played for us as it wafted over the fence! (Karen hides her light under a bushel but she plays exquisitely!)

The bottom tier is traditional rich fruit cake with vanilla sponge as the middle & top tiers.

This is the first time I have stacked a cake before transporting to the venue (I have usually only ever stacked the whole cake when at the venue) ... it got there in one piece at least and was admired which is always good to hear!

**(original design given to my mother as a photo, downloaded by the bride from somewhere - if anyone know's who did it first please shout up so I can give credit where credit is due!)**

No comments: